RKCR Y&R, London / VODAFONE / 2015
In today’s modern world families come in all shapes and sizes, but no matter what your family looks like – sharing is what makes a family, a family.
The family campaign is shot in a documentary style and follows a modern family, the Whittakers, on a day out at the science museum. We see how mobile connectivity not only keeps us entertained, but can bring us closer together.
A series of people deliver lines from their favourite films and TV shows in unusual
contexts. The lines are all delivered in a very natural, casual style as if they are
part of a real conversation. In each vignette there is some very subtle styling that
nods towards the film we are referencing. We use a balance of cult and popular
films and TV shows.
1. We open on two very well-manicured young men working the make up counter of a
large department store.
“Did you ever think there’s more to life than being really really, really ridiculously
good looking?” (Zoolander)
His partner turns towards him with Blue Steel expression and shakes his head.
2. Cut to two old guys sitting outside a quiet, idyllic country pub as they nurse their pints
and watch the world go by.
“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you
could miss it.” (Ferris Bueller)
His friend eats a crisp as he contemplates his wisdom.
3. Cut to an RV parked near a beach. A girl is sat outside it next to an unlit BBQ watching
something on her ipad. A guy comes out of the RV with some sausages and says exasperatedly:
“Jesse, we need to cook” (Breaking Bad)
4. Cut to two nuns taking a walk through the countryside. One is much older than the
other and she says in a patronising, lecturing tone:
“The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn’t exist”
(The Usual Suspects)
5. Cut to two little boys in pushchairs. The younger one is fast asleep, his older brother
looks at him and says:
“I have always loathed the necessity of sleep. Like death, it puts even the most
powerful of men on their backs. (House of Cards)
6. We finish on a farmer’s son taking a break from work. He is watching Netflix on his iPad.
We see the Netflix UI with a selection of films and he presses the Top Gun movie icon.
V.O: You can enjoy your favourite films and shows on Netflix.
From the tablet we hear Tom Cruise say:
“Talk to me, Goose” (Top Gun)
As if on cue a single goose honks back at him. He looks impressed at the animal.
The Top Gun theme tune starts to play.
VO: Get 6 months Netflix on Red 4G and take your favourite TV shows and
films with you on the go.
VODAFONE. POWER TO THE FILM FANATICS.
POWER TO YOU.